Monday, September 21, 2015

A New Start

I have been feeling quite lost since my sabbatical blog ended.  It was a rich experience and I thoroughly enjoyed writing for more than myself.  I have been inspired to journal again using paper and pen.  I also decided to continue the process in the blogosphere.

So here I begin.  A Delicate Balance will focus on my journey through what I know is the last third (or less) of my life.  I am getting many signs these days that I need to practice the delicate balance between living and letting go.  Yesterday my minister spoke to Life and Death and All the in Between.  Paul said that two things are for sure. We all live and we all die.  Each day can be a full day but needs to be lived in the knowing that our time is limited.  A question I would like to open the day with is "what does day offer me and what can I do to be fully present in the day?"

I wanted to begin with a picture I took last week while visiting Western Washington University, my alma mater.

Stone Enclosure, Rock Rings. Nancy Holt artist, 1977-78.

I have never taken the time before to explore this structure.  Ironically it was built the year I gave birth to Kate and became a mother.  I was in graduate school at Western at the time.  As I wandered through the stones and took the pictures showing the different viewpoints, I marveled at all the intricate stones how they are connected and support each other.  The variety of sizes and shapes that make the beautiful piece are like the experiences in our own lives.  We have many small and large experiences, feelings, dreams, disappointments, thoughts, connections that make our lives what they are.  I think one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves is the courage to look at our whole lives in context and to acknowledge all that keeps us in balance.  What I love about the picture and the reality of my life is that I have dark and light places and the interaction between them and the interdependence is what gives me strength and balance.

Happy International Day of Peace!  Next year I think part of my balance will be making intentions to honor this amazing day.

Thanks for reading.







1 comment:

  1. Lovely post and amazing picture. When I first saw it, I thought it was a lost earring on a rocky path! The light areas looked like silver and the green looked like a gem stone! I too am trying to live each day more intentionally.

    ReplyDelete