Saturday, September 26, 2015

Autumn has arrived

I love the feeling of the autumn sun and look forward to some warm autumn days followed by cool nights.  The warm and cool alternating temperatures are one of my favorite parts of early fall.  I also love seeing the colors change.  My son, Ben, is colorblind as is my father, Jim.  Ben always loved autumn because he said it was the season when he could appreciate the leaves.  The yellow leaves of the big leaf maples are magnificent and are starting to turn!

I spend time on the equinox walking the labyrinth in Fairhaven Park in Bellingham.  The labyrinth is a community jewel and is a pleasure to visit on special occasions.

The jewel at the center of the Fairhaven park labyrinth.

Walking the paths back and forth is an ancient form of meditation that has survived and is thriving today.  A woman was in the center when I entered from the north and she was writing in her journal.  We did not speak except when we passed, she going outward and me going outward.  She lifted her face to mine and said Happy Equinox is a reverent voice.  It was a wonderful moment.  My time in the labyrinth by a group of musicians who were softly playing and signing a chant nearby.  I love the magic that happens when we let it.

I realized as walked the path that in order to keep balance as I turned on the loopy paths that I needed to really slow down and appreciate the new direction and pay attention to each step.  I think that is a strong metaphor for where I am at in my life.  Slow down, think as the daily activities of my life take the twists and turns that come in the course of a day.

Labyrinth in the classical style and this is the model that was used to build the Fairhaven labyrinth.
The internet is full of helpful information about Labyrinths.  Some invite finger explorations.  Nothing replaces the real thing for me.  My first labyrinth was a backyard Cretan model in Olympia.  A member of the Olympia Unitarian Universalist Church built it.  She was a professor of Anthropology and very knowledgable and I am grateful that she was to person who brought them into my life.   I have created temporary labyrinths  and have had fun with them but I love the built ones best.  Orcas Island has a beautiful labyrinth in Eastsound, built by two cooperating churches in a shared space right on the edge of the sound.  Heavenly.  Where have you enjoyed a labyrinth?  


Equinox walk through the Padden Creek watershed.
Colors of autumn.  I love orange.

I hope you are enjoying the warm days, colder nights, the colors and the changing light as fall.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment